As the holidays are fast approaching, many of us will be spending this time with our favorite furred family members. Whether you have a dog, a cat, a rabbit or a reptile, there are many things you can do with them to have some holiday fun.
Here are 8 super fun things we like to do over the holidays with our pets:
- Go out for a walk or a drive to look at Christmas lights in your area. This time of year is so beautiful with the many lights and decorations people put up on their homes and businesses. Take some time to go for a walk with your dog and enjoy the scenery, if your dog is a senior or special needs and can’t walk as far, you can go for a drive or take a Dogger ride!
- Bake some Holiday dog treats. There are many ideas and recipes out there for a basic dog cookie. Look for one suitable for your dog’s dietary requirements and bake with them. They can help you while you mix and prepare the ingredients and of course the most important job, testing your creations! Here's a Christmas dog treat recipe we love!
- Watch a holiday movie. Who doesn’t love a cute holiday movie this time of year, with all the options to choose from, you and your fur-babies can curl up on the couch for some always awesome snuggle time and watch a holiday film.
- Make a paw print ornament. Make a fun memory and add a personal touch to your tree by making a personalized, homemade paw print Christmas ornament with your dog or cat, even your rabbit.
- Have a Pet Holiday Party. Either with human friends, fur friends or both! Host a pet themed holiday bash for your dog and their best friends.
- Play some games. Playing games with your dog or cat can be a fun way to pass the time. Games like hide and seek or fetch can be a great was to spend time together while having some fun. There are also many puzzle-style games you can play as well that many animals will enjoy.
- Take Holiday Themed Photos. With all the lights and decorations, this is a great time of year to take holiday themed photos. It can be fun to dress up and create glamour shots with your pet by the tree or go outside and take some snowy action shots. Another fun way to create a holiday memory.
- Build a cardboard “Gingerbread” house or cat scratcher box. With all those boxes and wrapping paper, it can be fun to build a doghouse or a holiday themed cat scratcher box with a few simple items. You can build a house for your dog and use wrapping paper to decorate the outside to give it a gingerbread holiday look. Small animals such as rabbits and guinea pigs also love these cardboard houses, just be sure to always use pet friendly non-toxic items, and if your pet may chew, ensure there is nothing they can choke on removing any staples from boxes. For a cat scratcher box, use a cardboard box large enough to fit one or two plain cardboard cat scratcher refills; cover the box with wrapping paper and inset the cardboard scratchers into the bottom. Now you have a cute, seasonally decorated cat scratcher that your cat will love.
I hope this list provides some fun, holiday entertainment to enjoy with your animal family members over the holiday season. It is a fun way to start some new traditions that include your most beloved friends!
Wishing you a wonderful holiday season, Happy Holidays!
Emily Charlton is a lifelong animal lover (and crafter) drawing on more than 12 years experience in a veterinary clinic.