06 October, 2015
I recently came across a brilliant video entitled 'Be more dog' and it was a great reminder of why we truly need to learn from and become more like our dogs. It is so easy to become bogged down by life. To let the daily stresses consume us and to become almost robotic in our routines, but not our dogs. They take everything in stride and to watch a dog explore, even an area they have been to a million times, is like watching a child discovering the joys of life. Their curiosity is endless, their appreciation of every little detail around them and their enjoyment of just being with us, is truly inspiring.
Probably the biggest lesson I learn from my dogs is to live in the present. Enjoy each and every moment of each and every day. They show me, yes show me, that life is filled with amazing things if we would only open our eyes a little wider.
Here are 10 steps to help you become more dog:
- If you see something bright and shiny - follow it.
- When you see a broom, a shoe or a stick play with it.
- Every time you step outside take deep breaths and soak it all in.
- As you drive in your car wind down the window and let the air blow in your face.
- When life knocks you down - get up!
- Don't waste a single moment being angry - forgive and forget.
- Be grateful for every day and take a moment to appreciate all that is around you.
- Take a moment to snuggle with your dogs every day.
- Look for something new everywhere you go.
- Be as excited to see your dogs and they are to see you.
So every time I feel stressed or tired I remember to be more dog. To not sweat the small stuff and be happy in the moment. No regrets, no taking things for granted, no letting life pass me by because from now on, I am dog!
Ann-Marie Fleming is the Founder & CEO of Dog Quality, a provider of products focused on improving the quality of life for older dogs.